( of )
Chesapeake Bay Foundation Brock Environmental Center
Located at Pleasure House Point in Virginia Beach, VA, the Brock Environmental Center is a one-story, 10,000-square-foot educational facility that will engage, inform and inspire the Hampton Roads community to solve the Chesapeake Bay’s challenges in preservation and sustainability.
This project required two years of extensive planning and preconstruction services in order to target the strict requirements of the Living Building Challenge and LEED Platinum certifications. Construction of the project began in August 2013 and was completed in October 2014. There is a yearlong measurement and monitoring period required for the Living Building Challenge certification. For frequently updated information during this time frame, visit the project dashboard.
This facility is on track to be among the most credited projects. The following honors have been awarded:
- ABC 2015 Award of Excellence, Best Institutional Building
- ABC 2015 Overall Excellence in Construction Award
- ENR Mid-Atlantic, 2015 Best Project, Green Project
- ENR Mid-Atlantic, 2015 Best Overall Safety Project
- HRACRE, 2015 Award of Excellence, Best Sustainable Project
- HRACRE, 2015 Award of Excellence, Best Master Planned Project
- HRACRE, 2015 Juror’s Choice Award
- American Planning Association, 2015 Sustainable Building Project Award
- 2015 Governor’s Environmental Excellence Award, Gold Medal Winner